We made another game! It went great, mostly. Let’s talk about it.
Point the first: I’m in a much better mental state than I was while making SMAH, and I think it shows. The script for RE\VISION is much more cohesive, I feel, and the dialogue feels much tighter. I’m really pleased with it, considering the time constraints I had to work with.
Point the second: Holy shit, I put a lot of work into this. Most days I was putting at least four or five hours of work in – others, I’d be putting in eight or nine. I spent a lot of time at coffee shops and libraries during the jam month (1st July – 31st July), which helped with my productivity, but I’m still sort of amazed that I survived putting that much time into it. The last few days were absolute hell in regards to exhaustion: I was falling asleep on trains on a regular basis.
Point the third: I also used this jam as an opportunity to learn Ren’Py, which is a free visual novel engine for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. When I started, it seemed really stiff and unyielding, but as the month went by, I learned that it’s an engine that’s actually incredibly versatile and can be used for a whole range of things. It’s pretty fab. Plus, the #renpy channel on freenode is a fantastic resource for learning about the engine and getting help with dumb issues. One particularly thorny one I hit happened when I tried assigning values to variables in the wrong place. Took me two days to figure out. It sucked.
I think I got a little off-track.
I think what I’m trying to say is that I’m really excited that we made another game six months after our first, and worked together just as well as we did the first time. I have confidence that we’ll keep on making cool stuff!
Also: I need to learn to pace myself when working on things. Exhaustion = not good.